Sunday, February 8, 2009

Jett The Poet...Part II

I don't know why, but I never seem to see this kid's work until a major project is due and he has to display it on a pretty board or something. This week was a display of five of Jett's best stories or writing examples that brought this poem to my attention. I guess his ability to write things like this surprises me because he usually says so little and seems to notice very few details when I ask him how his day was....and...he says he absolutely hates to write. In any case, I thought this was really good....

I Can't Imagine
by Jett Whitten
I can't imagine the torture you must face,
leaving our beloved family, going to a foreign country,
raiding ghost towns condemned as if by the devil.
I can't imagine what you must go through, limited rations,
inconvenient living, blistering sun, and the souls of all those who you killed
staring at you with dead eyes in your dreams.
The death of your friends scarring you for all eternity.
I can't imagine your stress, having to hide, having to dive,
having to avoid grenades with shrapnel ready to pierce your very soul.
And worst of all, noble sacrifices made by our troops that were all in vain.
All of this for our country's freedom,
We thank you

5 comments:

Lew said...

That was beautiful! I got tears in my eyes, seriously! You should frame that for Pops and give it to him next Vetertan's Day. Great job, Jett!

Linda@SurfandSweetgrass said...

That's a nice idea, Lew. We'll do that.

Ali said...

What a well thought out poem, Jett. I was very impressed at the depth of your poetry. I hope you continue with your talent--love ya!

Don and Robin Cooper said...

I too was so very impressed. What an insightful young man Jett is.

pam said...

What a poem! I loved it too. Pops read it and got all misty. Jett, you are a very deep-thinking, sensitive young man. We love you (our newest teen grandson, by the way) and are very proud of you. Love, MeMe