Sunday, November 9, 2008

Jett the Poet....

We were finishing up some homework this evening and Jett asked us to print out this poem he wrote that he had to turn in. I thought it was really good.... The assignment was to do a journal entry about the kind of person you would liked to have been in ancient Egypt and then write a poem based on this journal entry.

I Am A Blacksmith
by Jett Whitten

I am a blacksmith.

I fight for my rights to defend my shop.

My shop is a small building full of the smell of sulfur.

I visit the town market as often as I can.

On the journey I saw a father smiting his child.

The father was furious, something about leaving the boat untied

for this child was weeping like a fountain never ending.

2 comments:

Lew said...

That is seriously a really great poem. Way to go, Jett! He is such a smart, creative kid. Wish we lived closer!

Kara said...

What a beautiful poem.